Doge Palace, a pink marble structure in the floating city of Venice, was established in 1340 and is the most popular tourist destination in Italy, drawing more than 1.3 million people each year. Designed in Venetian Gothic culture style - The Doge's Palace interior features delicate white pinnacles and arched windows, surrounded by the Basilica di San Marco, Campanile (the bell tower), museums, restaurants, and shops.
Built next to St. Mark's Basilica, The Doge's Palace artworks sum up the history of La Serenissima, from its political affairs to its military triumphs and the life of the royals in Venice. The walls of Palazzo Ducale of Venice narrate the extensive history of Italy, estranged from the books of the Italian curriculum. There is a lot of magical history of Doge's Palace to explore, learn and imbibe from artworks and interiors.
A meticulously crafted allegorical, theological, moral, and political "message" is conveyed by the sculpture and reliefs at the Museo dell'Opera, which add to its beauty. Particularly significant are the multiple capital carvings, which resemble epic poetry in stone. The sculptures merged the sacred with the profane - history, astronomy, and astrology in a distinctly medieval style. The visitors are guided through this kind of comprehensive dissertation by the 42 capitals of the Museo dell'Opera.
Book Now: Doge Palace Tickets
The courtyard of the Doge's Palace, which faces the San Marco basilica, is a vast area with much grander views. The courtyard center has two well-heads from the middle of the 16th century. The enormous statues of Mars and Neptune by Sansovino, which stand tall in the representation of Venice's sovereignty over land and sea, have guarded the Giant's Staircase on either side since 1567. You'll pass two significant inscriptions on your way up from the Gold Staircase: one, from 1362, commemorates French King Henri Ill's visit to Venice in 1574, while the other, at the Giants' Staircase, dates from the papacy of Urban V and features Gothic lettering.
Also Read: Clock in the Doge's Palace
The Doge's Apartments have always been in this wing of the Palace, between the Rio Della Canonica, the current Golden Staircase, and the Ducal Chapel, which is, the apse of the Basilica of Saint Mark. In 1483, a terrific fire completely devastated the neighborhood, and later in 1510, it was reconstructed in Renaissance style. The remodeling of the so-called Doge's Apartments dates back to this time which includes rooms that are currently a part of the museum tour, which stand out for their engraved timber ceilings, massive marble chimneys with elaborate, delicately carved designs, painting friezes, and stuccoes.Today, these Apartments are used for temporary Doge's Palace exhibitions, for people to come and view the various artworks.
The Square Atrium serves as the starting point for the tour of the many Institutional Chambers within the Palace. The political and judicial branches of government are housed in these chambers. These Institutional Chambers are divided among 3 floors - first floor, second floor and the Logge floor. Due to its immutability, capacity to withstand the test of time, and ability to uphold societal harmony and peace, this was a source of envy in Europe. You will get to see the chambers of important governing bodies like the Senate and the Chamber of the Great Council and the rooms used by the prime judicial organizations of the Vatican. The elaborate design of these halls is structured to highlight the state's virtues while also indicating the role of the various bodies.
The Doge's Palace, which served as the location of all government operations, also had a prison. On the other side of the canal, a New Prison was constructed with larger and more spacious cells to improve living circumstances for inmates. Larch planks that were overlapped and fastened into place bordered each cell. Built in 1614, The Doge's Palace and the brand-new structure housing the New Prisons have been connected by the Bridge of Signs. It is covered on both sides and has two parallel corridors. The inmates' sighs as they were carried to their cells, ostensibly as they cast one final glance towards the city of Venice, were referenced in the bridge's name.
A priceless historical collection of weapons and munitions from various sources are preserved in the Armory's halls. The majority of the collection is known to have existed since the 14th century. During the Republic, the Armory, which was governed by the Council of Ten, was stocked with weapons so that the Palace's guards would always have access to them. These guards may be joined by the arsenalotti, the highly-trained staff from the Arsenale shipyards, on exceptionally sensitive or significant events. The collection of armaments, which included numerous priceless items, was partially scattered after the fall of the Republic, although it still has more than 2000 displays.
Checkout & Book: Doge's Palace & Saint Mark's Basilica Combo